The Hall began life, like the school and the chapel, in the early 1900s. It was built by Sir Courteney Warner Bt. As the Village Reading Room and newspapers were sent down from the Hall each day for the men of the village to read. A number of indoor games were introduced and the building served as a kind of working men’s club. The Deed of Gift, by which Sir Courteney conveyed the premises to his son (later Sir Edward Warner) in 1920, describes the hall as the Village Reading Room and Public Hall. From this time its use as a meeting place for the village clubs and functions steadily developed. Following Sir Edward’s death in 1955, the Brettenham Park Estate Company conveyed the hall to the village for the sum of £100, in October 1956. Money from the former Local Nursing Association was used to make the purchase. Adjacent land was acquired in the 1970’ for a rear extension and to provide car parking. This extension was demolished and the Hall was extended and up to date facilities, including facilities for the disabled, were installed in 2004.
The Hall is run by the Brettenham Village Association with officers elected at their AGM. There are four Trustees serving a term of 4 years. In addition to income from lettings, and profits from various activities and the monthly Bigger Ernie draw go towards the upkeep and maintenance.
To book the village hall please contact Katrina Kearns on 01449 737 987 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. To request a licensed bar please contact Peter Truin on 07799 640326 or at email@example.com, 28 days notice is usually required.